I’d Love To Get Started…
Always waiting for the perfect time to get started on new projects? To learn a new skill? To eat better? To exercise more? If so, heres something to think about.
- When I get a different job.
- When things are less busy.
- When I find a workout partner.
- When I find the right equipment.
- When I feel less awkward in the gym.
- When I lose 20 lbs.
- When I get the right workout routine.
- When my fridge is full of the right foods.
- Tomorrow. Next week. Never.
Human beings are always waiting for the perfect time. But why? For many, its a great distraction and justification. It helps us avoid the real and risky work of doing.
For others, perfectionism and avoidance serve as strong armor against potential embarrassment, criticism, and failure.
I could ___ but ___ keeps us safe from pain.
Unfortunately, its also what keeps us from growing, thriving, being who we know we have the potential to be.
Thats why all-or-nothing thinking If I dont do this perfectly then its awful rarely gets us all. It usually gets us nothing.
There Is No Perfect Time. There Never Will Be.
Take your moments. Make your moments. Just so you know, nobody is going to give you any moments. You have to take moments. Hunt them. Chase them. Make them happen.
Scratch and gouge moments out of other times. Chip off tiny flakes of moments from the monolith of your day. Use your teeth if you must bite off mouthfuls of those moments.
You are holding the chisel and the pickaxe. You are the miner of your moments.
This frustrates us, of course. It shouldnt be this way, we think. Everyone elses moments just come to them. Everyone else has
- Enough time.
- Enough money.
- Enough motivation.
- Enough information.
But it is this way. For everyone.
However, there is a perfect moment. There is actually always a perfect moment.
That Perfect Moment Is Now.
Just Start. At The Beginning.
And then, moments will keep moving, as moments do. One moment will stack on top of another and before you know it, youll have arrived at your destination.
As Long As Something Is Moving, Thats A Start. Push Through. Embrace Resistance.
Many people starting out assume that because they feel resistance, they have failed.
That because broccoli tastes bitter when they first try it, and accidentally overcook it, they just cant eat vegetables.That because their legs ache on the ascent, it means they are not ready to climb that hill. No. Thats just how it feels, sometimes.
You dont have to fight the resistance of the entire trip.You just have to push through the resistance of the first few moments.
Just do it !!
In the end, if youre constantly saddled with waiting for the perfect time, these tips might help:
- Revise your expectations. Recognize that there is no perfect time and there never will be.
- Carve out time, even if its imperfect. Nobody will give that time to you. Youll need to take it.
- Just start. Find the smallest possible thing you can do right now, in the next 5 minutes, and do it. Now youve started!
- Do something, anything. Action is a vote in favour of a different, healthier, fitter life. Vote early, vote often.
- You only have to get through this moment. This moment of starting will be the hardest. Luckily, it wont last long.
- Expect resistance. Its normal. Push through it. Resistance doesnt mean this wont work. It just means youve started.
- Get support. Whether its a friend or family member, Warrior Bootcamp, a Personal coach, find someone to fire up your booster rockets until you can fly on your own.